Aug 9, 2018

Frozen Coconut Mousse for Three



If you ask me what my favorite fruit is, my answer will always be coconut. Ok, technically it’s a drupe, but I’m not going around saying that like a smug child who just learned a new word.

So, coconut. My favorite fruit.

Since I was a little girl, every few summers, my parents would take me out to my grandfather’s farm where he had a coconut plantation. My aunts would ask one of the men who worked the fields - his name was Gilang – to cut down buco for us.

Gilang would first make a small opening at the top of the fruit with a bolo then hand it to me to drink the water. I’d tip my head back and drain it, and with juice dribbling down my chin, I’d give him back the coconut which he’d then split into two. I’d generously sprinkle muscovado sugar over the pulp, and scrape the sweetened flesh out with a spoon before greedily shoveling it into my mouth. I could - and can still - finish 6-7 coconuts by myself before happily resigning myself to the ensuing tummyache.

So whenever I come across a recipe that uses coconut in any form, I am always wanting to try it. However, one thing that almost always stops me is how much work goes into a recipe. There are times I’ve started a recipe only to give up halfway because of how much work is involved. I stumbled upon this one by chance. Super easy, perfect for lazy little me.

The original recipe was for 2 servings, but I adjusted it to make 3 but kept the chocolate shell the same.


FROZEN COCONUT MOUSSE


Ingredients

Coconut Mousse:
2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
1/3 cup sugar

Chocolate Shell:
2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Instructions
  • Grease three ramekins with coconut oil.
  • Mix together all of the ingredients for the mousse until the sugar is dissolved. Divide the mixture between your ramekins, cover with cling-film and freeze.
  • When ready to serve, heat chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave until the chocolate has melted. Stir until smooth.
  • Dip the bottoms of the ramekins in hot water melting the coconut oil to release the mousse. Invert the ramekin on a serving plate and top with the chocolate sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @thehungryfamilyeats